Image

4335 DeMaisonneuve (Western Ave.)

4335 DeMaisonneuve (Western Ave.)

Joseph Eveleigh residence (1920).

J. Eveleigh & Company – Manufacturers of trunks and travelling bags (Including: Gladstone, English Kit. Club, Salisbury & Brief).

Their salesroom was located at 245 and 247 St. James Street and the factory at the corner of St. Elizabeth & Vitre Streets.

Image

4331 DeMaisionneuve (Western Ave.)

4331 DeMaisionneve  (Western Ave.)

W. W. Hutchison residence (1910). Eastern manager of the Lake of the Woods Milling Company.

From Wikipedia:

“The Lake of the Woods Milling Company Limited was started May 21, 1887 to take advantage of the new railway and western grain production.

Formed by a team from the board of Canadian Pacific Railway, including George Stephen, 1st Baron Mount Stephen, William Cornelius Van Horne and James Ross, the headquarters were in Montreal, while the milling operations were based in Keewatin, Ontario. The location provided transportation via the CPR, access to raw product, and water-power from the Winnipeg River.

The first mill was completed in 1888 with vice-president John Mather overseeing construction and funded by an initial corporate capitalization of $300,000. Its peak production turned a daily 62,000 bushels of wheat into 10,000 barrels of flour.

The flour was marketed under the name Five Roses, which became a world famous brand. In 1913, Lake of the Woods released the first edition of the Five Roses Cook Book, which is still in production to this day.

The mill operated in Keewatin for 79 years, closing in 1967. At the height of its production, it was possibly the largest flour mill in the British Commonwealth.”

Image

Westmount Park Walking Paths

Westmount Park Walking Paths

The current walking paths through the park are poured concrete. They are no different from the city’s downtown sidewalks. One doesn’t have to look too closely, on either side of the paths, to see the damage to the trees (boughs cut back to stumps) caused by the equipment used to install these in 2013.

Image

Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers

Lawn, near Murray Hill Park, covered in blue flowers (Chionodoxa luciliae).

From Wikipedia:

“Chionodoxa luciliae (syn. C. gigantea) or Lucile’s Glory-of-the-snow is a bulbous perennial from west Turkey flowering in early spring. After flowering, it goes into dormancy until the next spring. The Latin name is in honour of Lucile, the wife of the Swiss botanist Pierre Edmond Boissier.”

Image

Westmount Summit

Westmount Summit

Muddy trail along the Summit on a Spring afternoon.

In 1943 the National Research Council had an experimental radio tower & service building in Summit Park. During that same period, the Verdun and District Sportsmen’s Association introduced pheasants to the Summit. These were cared for by the Westmount Park authorities.