The rain (finally) stopped before an evening walk. Melville Avenue has an interesting array of grey-stone triplexes built in the late 1800s.
Melville Avenue – no relation to the Moby Dick author – on a blustery cold Wednesday evening.
The street’s original name was Elgin; named after James Bruce Elgin, 8th Earl and Governor General of Canada from 1847-54. The street’s name was changed when the Melville Presbyterian Church was erected adjacent a former bread factory.
Today, it is a place of worship for the Serbian Orthodox Church.
Westmount Park’s bicycle path. Not that long ago, it was a vehicular road – today it is still a bit of a challenge for pedestrians.
Our walk ended on Melville Avenue (formerly Elgin) lined with late 19th century triplexes.
The street’s former name recognized James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin (Governor General of Canada). His assent of a bill for the rebellion losses in 1849 caused a riot that ultimately destroyed the parliamentary buildings in Montreal. Lord Elgin, spent the last days of his career as a special commissioner to China.
Melville Avenue was not named after Herman Melville of Moby Dick fame. (For some reason, many people spread this rumour).
The street’s name was changed when the Melville Presbyterian church was built. Today, their house of worship is occupied by a Serbian Orthodox Church.
Tulips in blossom along Melville Avenue.
A winter walk through Westmount Park ending at Melville Avenue.
A splash of colours, outside a house, on a grey winter morning.
Another balm mid-December evening walk with our dog.
There is a beautiful wreath on the side of a pediatric clinic near Melville Avenue and Sherbrooke Street.