Westmount Park’s bicycle path. Not that long ago, it was a vehicular road – today it is still a bit of a challenge for pedestrians.
Our walk ended on Melville Avenue (formerly Elgin) lined with late 19th century triplexes.
The street’s former name recognized James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin (Governor General of Canada). His assent of a bill for the rebellion losses in 1849 caused a riot that ultimately destroyed the parliamentary buildings in Montreal. Lord Elgin, spent the last days of his career as a special commissioner to China.
Melville Avenue was not named after Herman Melville of Moby Dick fame. (For some reason, many people spread this rumour).
The street’s name was changed when the Melville Presbyterian church was built. Today, their house of worship is occupied by a Serbian Orthodox Church.